Internships and Opportunities
There are numerous opportunities for internships and experiential learning. Many of our actuarial science even earn salaried summer internships or land Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) position; REU students often earn stipends through the National Science Foundation. In addition to internships, our students take on new academic challenges by working on research with a faculty mentor.
Recent internships include placements at companies such as:
- Lockheed Martin (Corporate, engineering mathematics and computer programming)
- Hershey Medical Center Dept of Biostatistics (Corporate, statistics)
- North Carolina State University (REU, epidemiological models)
- National Institute for Standards and Technology (Federal government, mathematical physics)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (Federal government, statistics)
- National Institute for Survey Research (statistics)
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute (REU, financial mathematics)
- Carnegie Mellon University (REU, pure mathematics)
- University of Delaware (REU, mathematical biology)
- Applied Mathematical Sciences Summer Institute (Federal government, applied mathematics)
Congratulations to Alan Dyson ('13), Jordan Reichard ('12), Julia Hodge ('13), Matt Weaver ('11), Elizabeth Pagano ('11), Britney Gladhill ('11), Brendan Ritchey ('11), and Melissa Frey ('12) who all recently passed Actuarial Exams.
Honors in the Discipline
Melissa Cangialosi accepted our invitation to pursue Honors in the Discipline, and she is working with Professor Thorsen this year on a senior project on Projective Geometry.