History of High Library
Elizabethtown College's first library was housed on the second floor of Alpha Hall from 1900 until 1903, when it was moved to the building's first floor.
In 1910 the library was moved to Rider Hall, where in 1928 a reading room was added to expand the size of the library.
1930s - Rider Hall
By 1935 there was an effort by the Board of Trustees to build a new library, but the Great Depression scuttled those plans.
During the World War II era, the College began the process of meeting requirements to pass the Middle States Association accreditation.
1960s - Zug Memorial Hall
One of the concerns to be addressed for accreditation was a stipulation the College needed to build a library commensurate with its educational goals and aspirations. A fund- raising effort was initiated, and on April 9, 1949, ground breaking began on the new library. At a cost of $160,000, the Zug Memorial Library was dedicated on October 20, 1950; named in honor of Samuel R. Zug, one of the founders of Elizabethtown College. The new facility had capacity for 50,000 volumes, even though in 1950 there were only 16,500 volumes in the collection.
It did not take too many years before Zug's capacity was reached, and in 1965 a wing on each end of the library was added,thereby expanding the library's capacity to 100,000 volumes for a student population of up to 1200.
The 1980s and Today
In the mid-1980s, a capital campaign was begun under President Gerhard Spiegler's leadership. One of the campaign's goals was to raise enough funds to erect a new library.
With the help of a generous gift from the High Foundation of Lancaster, the new library's construction began on March 14, 1989, and the building dedication was on September 22, 1990. The new library was named in honor S. Dale High, a class of 1963 graduate of Elizabethtown College.
The High Library has a capacity to house 250,000 volumes and is equipped with conference rooms, study carrels and group study spaces. The main floor also contains a smart classroom for research instruction and student use.
Librarians and Directors
|1905-1906 Charles Bower||1949-1952 M. Alice Sylvester|
|1906-1907 Ruth Stayer Hoover||1952-1959 Alice S. Heilman|
|1907-1911 L.D. Rose||1959-1960 Emily C. Rahter|
|1911-1913 B.F. Waltz||1960-1986 Anna M. Carper|
|1913-1916 Calvin J. Rose||1986-2003 Nelson Bard|
|1916-1917 H.D. Moyer||2003-2005 Sylvia Morra (Interim)|
|1917-1919 John F. Graham||2005-2013 BethAnn Zambella|
|1919-1920 Supera Martz||2013-2014 Sylvia Morra (Interim)|
|1920-1921 Floy Crouthamel||2014-present Sarah Penniman|
|1940-1941 Florence Becker|