Interlibrary Loan policies
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loan, also known as "ILL," is a service that obtains materials from other libraries statewide, nationally, and internationally. It relies on the cooperative efforts and good will of thousands of libraries.
Who can borrow?
High Library Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service is available to:
- Elizabethtown College faculty and staff
- Currently registered E-town students
What can I borrow?
Materials Interlibrary Loan can obtain for you include:
- Books not owned by High Library.
- Books that are owned by High Library but are missing, at the bindery, or checked out.
- Periodical articles that are not available in print, microfilm, or electronically at High Library.
- Sound recordings, scores, videos, DVDs, and books on tape/CD.
Materials Interlibrary loan cannot obtain for you include:
- Reference materials (with some exceptions).
- Bestsellers and books that not yet been published.
- Books that are available at High Library, including reserve books.
- Popular films.
- Entire issues or volumes of periodicals or newspapers (with some exceptions). If you need an entire issue or volume, please speak to a reference librarian.
How many requests can I submit?
We will process up to 20 requests per day, per person. After that we will fill requests as time permits.
How long does it take to fill a request?
The average length of time needed to receive materials via interlibrary loan is 5-7 days. Journal articles often arrive much more quickly. Plan ahead to get materials you need in time to actually read them.
Can you RUSH an item for me?
All interlibrary loan requests are processed on an ASAP basis.
What are the loan periods?
- Books: Loan periods for books are generally between two and four weeks and are at the discretion of the lending institutions. Always check the due date on the label.
- Photocopies obtained through interlibrary loan will be delivered to you electronically whenever possible. If you receive a hard copy, it is yours to keep.
Can I renew?
Most libraries will renew for at least two weeks. Request a renewal by logging into ILLiad, clicking on View/Renew Checked Out Items, and then selecting the Transaction Number. Most libraries will not renew overdue items, so make your request before the item is due. Be sure to watch your email after making a renewal request, in case the lending library denies it.
Are there any fees for interlibrary loan materials?
Generally, no. If there is a fee involved, we will ask you first if you want to pay it. Fees for items for faculty and honors students' research are covered by the library. Overdue/lost interlibrary loan materials: Many libraries will send an invoice for the replacement cost plus substantial charges for overdue books. In addition, many will suspend our borrowing privileges if we fail to return books on time. Please be careful to return interlibrary loan materials on time to keep the system working for you.
Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about Interlibrary Loan?
System Problems or Interlibrary Loan Questions: