Recognition Awards Program
Elizabethtown College has established Recognition Awards to reward individual faculty and staff members and teams of faculty and/or staff members for significant contributions and improving the College's effectiveness as an institution.
Individual awardees and individual members of a team receive $300 and a Recognition Award Certificate. Recognition Award(s) are paid as a one-time payment and are not added to base salary.
How the Recognition Awards Program Works
- Nominator completes the on-line nomination form.
- On or before February 1, 2019, Department Chairs, Directors, and Sr. Level Administrators should complete a nomination form for each individual employee or individual team member.
- Online forms are automatically submitted to the HCRC review group. The HCRC review group will consider each nominee's information with the Recognition Awards Program criteria. In February 2019, the HCRC will inform the nominator the status of their nomination.
- Nominators will contact the individual employee or team member of a $300 Recognition Award. HR will send to the employee a letter affirming the recognition award. Names of award recipients will be announced during the Spring Semester.
- All award recipients will receive a one-time monetary award of $300 on the first pay in April, 2019.
All faculty and staff are eligible to receive a Recognition Award. Awards may also recognize a department, office, team, committee, task force, or working group. Recognition Awards shall be made for accomplishments between January 1, 2017 through December 14, 2018.
Consideration may be given to such factors as special contributions to the College as a whole, successful completion of a special project, ideas for improved work methods, or outstanding dedication to the College. Nominations for work, projects, or service that have clear end dates should be made when the work or project has been completed.
Reflecting the diverse nature of the College’s workforce, nominees should consistently model many of the following qualities: flexibility, adaptability, initiative, leadership, responsibility, and innovation.
Nominations should recognize outstanding achievement, performance, creative contributions, and/or improvement beyond what is normally expected of employees. Using specific examples, please describe, as precisely as possible, how the nominee/s has shown outstanding or extraordinary performance in three or more of the following areas:
Job Excellence- Employees who perform normally assigned responsibilities at an exceptional level.
Customer Service – Contributes to improvement in the quality of service to students, staff, faculty, and/or the public. Providing services to others that are beyond assigned responsibilities.
Unsung Hero- Performing extra duties beyond those normally assigned. Performing other roles when the department is short-staffed
Teamwork- Contributes significantly in team approaches. Volunteering to serve on a department or college committee and contributing to its success.
Leadership – Demonstrates initiative and sets the pace in a supervisory or non-supervisory role. Contributing to the success of their co-workers.
Innovative/Efficiency- Making creative suggestions that save the department time/money. Developing new work methods that reduce waste or stretch resources. Undertakes significant projects that demonstrate creativity or progressive ideas.
Mentoring – Encourages and motivates other employees to improve their performance.
Self Improvement – Initiates developmental activities to improve job knowledge or work performance.
Problem Solving – Demonstrates creative and innovative resolution to problems or challenges in the department and/or college.
Process of Nomination
- Members of Senior Staff, department chairs and directors make written recommendations for Recognition Awards. Recommendations shall be limited to 400 words and should outline the individual or group's contributions. Nominations should be submitted to Human Resources (through Jayweb) on or before February 1, 2019.
- The Hiring Compensation and Review Committee (HCRC) together with two directors and one faculty member, appointed by the President, shall review the nominations to determine the Recognition Awards. (The HCRC includes the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Vice President for Administration& Finance, the Vice President for Student Life and the Director of Human Resources.)
- The HCRC shall notify the nominators of the outcome of the review process February 2019. Nominators will notify employees within their respective units who have been recognized.
- Human Resources will notify individual nominees of outcomes and send letters to those receiving awards.
- Recognition Awards will be announced to campus in spring semester 2019.