There are a number of simple and effective actions that everyone can take to minimize their risk of becoming a victim.
General Safety Tips
- Don't walk alone at night, and avoid shortcuts or remote areas.
- Have your keys ready as you approach your residence or car.
- If you believe you are being followed, call Campus Security 717.361.1111 1111
- Use the buddy system at parties and events.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and follow your instincts.
Bystander Intervention Tips
- Avoid being a passive bystander to situations which could potentially evolve into sexual misconduct/assault. Pay attention to the verbal and non-verbal signals of those around you and intervene in situations where someone may be at risk for assault.
- Ask yourself, “If I were in this situation, would I want someone to help me?” Enlist a friend to help “give them an out.”
- Remember consent for sexual activity is Competent, Active, Reversible and Explicit (CARE). Ask yourself if the persons involved can provide consent.
- Follow your intuition. If a situation appears unsafe, enlist help. Call Campus Security at 717.361.1111 for assistance or advice.
Registered Sex Offender information
A list of all registered sex offenders in Pennsylvania is available from the Pennsylvania
State Police at http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us/.