There are a number of simple and effective actions that everyone can take to minimize their risk of becoming a victim.
General Safety Tips
- Lock. Your. Door. Even if you will only be gone for a few minutes or just down the hall.
- Don't walk alone at night, and avoid shortcuts or remote areas.
- Have your keys ready as you approach your residence or car.
- If you believe you are being followed, call Campus Security 717-361-1111
- Use the buddy system at parties and events.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and follow your instincts.
Bystander Intervention Tips
- Avoid being a passive bystander to situations which could potentially evolve into sexual misconduct/assault. Pay attention to the verbal and non-verbal signals of those around you and intervene in situations where someone may be at risk for assault.
- Ask yourself, “If I were in this situation, would I want someone to help me?” Enlist a friend to help “give them an out.”
- Remember consent for sexual activity is Competent, Active, Reversible and Explicit (CARE). Ask yourself if the persons involved can provide consent.
- Follow your intuition. If a situation appears unsafe, enlist help. Call Campus Security at 717-361-1111 for assistance or advice.
Registered Sex Offender information
A list of all registered sex offenders in Pennsylvania is available from the Pennsylvania
State Police at www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us.
Classroom Security Devices
Please watch this brief video for additional information on how to better secure classrooms on campus: Classroom Security Devices