The Brethren Academy offers a variety of certificate and continuing education programs. Certificate programs are intended for lay people who want to learn more about the faith and calling of Christian community; licensed ministers who are part of the certificate training program to fulfill minimal educational requirements for ordination; and ministers seeking continuing education. A copy of the ACTS Handbook is available here.
Courses are offered concurrently throughout the five partnering districts. Students may cross register for the courses. Districts may provide some financial assistance according to district policy.
The ACTS certificate program is a carefully designed program of 13 courses plus a series of ministry formation experiences that are repeated approximately every four years. Completion of a minimum of 12 courses is required for ordination, although participants are encouraged to complete all 13 courses and the ministry formation series.
- 12 or more academic courses are needed to complete the program:
- 3 Biblical (Old Testament, New Testament, Interpreting the Bible)
- 3 Historical/Theological (History of the Church, Brethren Life & Thought, Theology)
- 5 Ministry Skills (of these seven—Church Leadership & Administration—required; Pastoral Care & Counseling, Teaching & Learning in the Church, Preaching, Worship, Evangelism & Church Growth, Communication Skills for Pastoral Ministry)
- 1 elective (can be an additional ministry skills course, on-line class, or another approved course.)
- Ministry Formation
- Supervised Ministry
- Annual Conference
- District Conference
Ministers can earn 1.5 CEU credits through completion of these courses as continuing education.
To register for these courses call the SVMC at 717-361-1450.